Friday, June 13, 2008

MOE: The Mutual of Enumclaw Stage Race


It had been over 6-weeks since I last touched my time trial bike and my results in the TT sure showed this: I was almost a minute behind the fastest Master A rider in a measly 6-mile race (but I beat Dan by 5-seconds!). The TT was Stage 1 in the morning, and Stage 2 was an afternoon Criterium on the streets of downtown Enumclaw. I was blanked for points in the TT phase of the Omnium with my dismal ride and I hoped to remedy this in the crit by taking the 2-point prime as well as having a great finish. My goal was to win the crit and I was pretty confident.

Dan was my sole teammate and he was great to have along out there, we worked well together all weekend. For support I had Ann manning the RV and she seemed to always be working up some pre or post race concoction for us, it was amazing! Rob and his girlfriend Kelly were both also racing and so Veloce had a pretty good contingent.

In the crit Dan and I were uber aggressive and both launched into short-lived breaks. The pack was hungry and nothing was away for more than a few laps. I went after 3 primes and took 2nd in each: my sprint felt so good but it was not good enough/my timing was bad. With 1/2 a lap to go I was cut-off and found myself back further than I wanted, 7-8th but I wanted to be in 1st-3rd, and in the final straights I was only able to get around a couple guys and could only manage to take 6th, Dan 8th or 9th. Not bad but bummed even though we were now on the board with a few points each. Even just a few points made us contenders for a top 5 if all went well in the Road Race on Sunday. Couldn't wait!




No comments: