Monday, August 25, 2008

Heartwrenching Result, Effort

I did it again. I pissed away another win.

It just doesn't feel like my fault and yet I can't help but beat myself up over this one. I'd say this is the hardest time I've ever had in dealing with a racing result. There are lots of "almosts" in bike racing, it happens all the time if you're up there slugging it out and competitive, but sometimes its you who squeaks out the win over someone better so in the end it all works out, but not this time. I wanted it bad, and I worked so damn hard to put myself in the situation to win. Usually thats not enough though; there are 50 others guys who are doing the same thing, but I was one of the best and most aggressive on this day and it should have worked out, damn it.

There was at least one current pro in the mix and at least several other former pro/semi-pro's, and there were at least 3-4 full teams out there mixing it up including the Hagens-Berman and Carter Subaru teams. It included most of Washington's best. As usual I didn't feel worthy at the start, but once the racing started to heat up I was right there in the folds and took my lumps at the front, and many efforts off the front. The format was 10, 4-5 mile laps on flat farm roads between Redmond and Carnation, and at lap 6 there was the first and only prime that placed 2-deep and paid out only in points. A mile to the prime line I decided to put myself into the fray and go for it, why not. Benaroya put their team at the front to lead it out for ex-Subway pro David Richter, and it was Russel Stevenson who took the first hard pull that strung out the peleton to 50-deep. I had myself in about 10th and because I was too far back I had to start my sprint early, and just as I hit the 4th or 5th spot Richter pulled out and I found his wheel but couldn't come around, but I managed to get second and a little dose of pride. I also tried to keep the little break going but the peleton kept rolling pretty good and devoured us within the mile.

The next few laps were uneventful for me because I was dismayed at the ability to get away and thought I'd play it smart and rest up. Had some nice conversations in the peleton and caught up with a few old friends. With 2 to go I moved up to the front and jumped on a few more flyers, and then I noticed a H-B rider attacking all alone, so I jumped on it. Looking back I had a Carter Subaru rider attached and knew this could be the one --a good team composition -- and so as soon as I caught the lone rider I took my pull and then gave the elbow flick. Davis pulled through and then I realized that the H-B rider was McClung when he calls out "Its a bunch of old guys!". We are all pushing the 40-year mark and Richard is still kicking ass at over 40. A former pro, I'm told. (Okay, time to fast forward...)

3-miles later we'd accumulated a lead of a minute-plus and with 6-miles left we had it. Two teams were slowing down the peletons' pace-making and we were laying it down with 28-32 mph pulls. We approached corner 2 and I had just taken over point, and I had been chomping at the bit to lay it down hard. I came into the corner pretty hot but no problem -- until my tire rolled off the carbon rim and I went sliding across the road on my hip. I took out Davis into a road sign and McClung was forced to slow, and so that was it -- race over! I hopped up but no go without a tire.

I thought that my glue had failed, but yesterday I was checking out the wheel and realized that it was the tire that failed! The tubular rolled right off the tire strip which was still firmly attached to the wheel.

No comments: