Wednesday, February 08, 2006

nirvana: another pole ridge skate


Today I skied too hard-- the snow conditions were tough and i struggled to make the 20-mile skate. My legs are still amazingly sapped from my race efforts on Saturday in the Methow (Rendevous Race) even though I shook them out this week with a 30K skate, an all day backcountry ski, a couple roller sessions on the bike, and todays floundering on the trails of the Chiwawa Valley. I had hopes of going big today in preparation for next weeks Chiwawa100 (we hope) and so I wanted to put down about 50-miles but my thermometer showed a frightening 45-degrees which didn't mix too well with the totally cut-up trails from all the snowmobiles.

But... at least I went out there and got myself some ASS today! Yeah, thats what I did. Its called Adventure Skate Skiing, or A.S.S., and the term was inspired by skiing on the very trails that inspired the Chiwawa100 so you can bet there's some funky chi thats flowin out there to inspire such zaney irrationality. And if you don't believe me, check it out:

http://www.adventureskateskiing.com. And the dood who founded it wants to "Do the 100!" Do you?
And so, my prognosis for the Big (lebow)Ski is that it MUST be cold enough throughout the day to keep things "set". If it doesn't happen by next week I'm personally renaming it the Leavenworth100 and I'll be a gerbil on a "hamstertrail" splitting laps between Icicle Creek and Ski Hill.


Pic du jour: from trail 4D (the Pole Ridge-Snowcone variation) looking West with Lake Wenatchee down there, Dirtyface peak, and a bit of the trail itself in the foreground.

No comments: