Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Just One More: Natz on Sat!


Did I say, "just" one more? I think not: this is the ONLY one that ever mattered. All the flats, dropped chains, bike and body mechanicals mean nothing to me. I laugh in the faces of those evil beings who thought that these mere triffling catastrophes could bring me down. I will look as good as Kian does in the stars and stripes.

Easy does it, little buddy, don't get ahead of yourself. You're well aware of the odds of actually pulling this off, especially given your recent track record, and very much because of the formidable competition that you'll be up against. From the start list there are at least 8 dudes that could beat you on any given day. If it were just about who wanted it most it might boost your odds a little, but even so, I know there are guys training their asses off in fairer climes than Seattle for this one.


This year I'm doing it from the front row!

The excitement is finally beginning to build, and despite last weekends mechanical debacles in the final USGP's of the season, I'm way more hopeful than expected!

For over a month now I have written off furthering my fitness as a lost cause. I didn't have the time and fell into some despair at how my fitness slumped and I thought my only chance at improving my fitness was to do nothing, yes, nothing. I carried my peak into the early CX season but slowly my results waned despite my constant training, and so I decided that maybe its all been too much and my body actually needed a break. It was a refreshing realization, actually, to just say screw it and "enshallah", and so just let my fitness and my results happen. I guess I ceased to care. Thinking about it now as I type, perhaps I let my equipment go into decline too along with my apathy, because I've had quite a long string of mechanicals that have cost me a whole lot of places. Maybe, maybe not, but this past weekend I proved that I did still have some good speed and with a little luck, a strong back and a good race, I can still win this thing!

At Nationals, for me, its winner take all. I was 6th last year and this year I'd just assume take a mechanical DNF while racing to win than settle for just another spot on the podium. Yes, it would be nice consolation, but I want the jersey!

Kian thinks I can do it, and he's already slipped into his mock-up stars-and-bars skinsuit just like daddy will wear.

Below is a video of this years Nationals course, and from the looks of it, and combined with the weather forecast, I'm stoked: looks FAST and dry to me! Beware: boring to watch unless you would appreciate the intricacies of a fast and grassy course. Maybe even boring for you: its no USGP PDX.

No comments: