Sunday, January 06, 2013

First Ski of the Year and Season

Normally by now I've had at least a few days on the snow even on a bad year, but often by now I've been skiing for 6-weeks or more.  This year during Thanksgiving the conditions weren't prime for a Silverstar trip and then more CX happened, and then a 2-week trip to AZ sprung up during the holidays. 

First days on the skis are always rough and just finding my balance seems to take a few hours.  Ski legs, that is.  Starting so late in the season I will feel the urgency to try and fast track my fitness but I need to try and remember the need to log a few days just working on the fundamentals and doing some pole-less skiing. 

A short ski today, only 2-hours out at SPNC but it was worth all the effort because it was more about the "journey" today than it was the "destination".  I rolled my eyes when Michael told me they were rolling out at 9am.... that's unheard of in my world of nordic skiing because how are you going to log 4-5 hours with that kind of pedestrian rollout, but then as I was going to bed last night I realized the brilliance and called myself in on that with a quick text exchange.  Big breakfast in Blackistan, a late start, as always, a big bakery stop along the way, but we were still on skis at exactly noon.  The ski was fun, chit chatty and a super cool posse which is whats its all about, but otherwise the ski itself was rather unremarkable.  Post-ski beers in the lot, then on the way home we stopped at our Mexi-joint to watch the Seahawks come from behind and win the big game... more beers.   Great day today, I'm completely bushed and whacked, and Kian finished me off with his energy and wrestling moves.  Stick a fork in me.

No comments: