Monday, February 09, 2009

Endless Skiing String Snapped


Yeah, we finally took a weekend away from snow, didn't ski one measely K between Saturday and Sunday. But oh yeah, I got up to Cabin Creek on Friday to free my car and I snuck out for a few laps on the Berg and Ozbaldy Loops.

Saturday we decided to get domestic and hang out with family because we'd put so many things on hold since winter began in mid-December (winter officially begins for me when cyclocross season ends, and not a second sooner -- this year the winter weather coincided perfectly), but beforehand I snuck out for a quick 4-hour bike ride. Nice out there but way chilly, fingers and toes suffered a bit, but had a great ride doing the South Lake-May Valley-Issaquah-and Home Loop. Home late of course, cleaned up, then drove up to Snoqualmie to hang out with my nephews and let Kian be the nephew that he is to my sis and bro-in-law.

Sunday we were inside mucking about all morning, finally a nice leisurly breakfast. On weekends recent I'm actually up before the time that I go to work on weekdays, except that I almost never have to actuate the sleep function, I snap awake. Shit, going skiing!

In the afternoon yesterday I got the whole family out on the bike trail: Kian behind me in tow, mushing from the Chariot, and Annie riding round-up to fend off any attacks from behind. We rode down to Golden Gardens to pay out respects to Kevin Brown, the Seattle cyclist killed in an accident last week. A very healing experience for all and always a worthy meditation for every cyclist: the reality of our sport and mode of transportation as a very dangerous act, and the reality that we are very fragile passengers out there. Our condolences to everyone who knew him and a prayer for all cyclists everywhere.

Last night during one of my Kian sessions I happened to look out and notice fat flakes falling across the street light out front: sweet, NOAA campus will be opening late! When my alarm buzzed me at 6am I excitedly called the hotline but my hopeful no-go was a go-go, damn! But I love to ride in this stuff and so I rode to work especially hopeful and wide-eyed this morning. Proof!

No comments: