Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Careful What You Pray For


Snow! Last week and the weekend before that, Seattle was pummeled with a heavy dose of snow that chock-blocked the entire city. Factories and businesses were forced to close and the local economy took a hit. And I got a couple days of paid vacation, baby!



On the days that I did go into work I was able to go in late because the "campus" decreed it, and I did so on my 29er MTB and it was a blast riding the Burke-Gilman under half a foot of compact snow. But would we be able to get out of town for our Christmas cabin in the Methow... hell yes! We put the insurance back on Annie's truck and busted through snowbanks to get there. Actually, once we got over the hump and into the East-side of the state at Stevens Pass the driving was easy: they know how to deal with snow over there and the drivers usually know to navigate the thick stuff, so it was pretty smooth sailing.




Back on the skinnies!

After returning from KC I was eager to change up the fitness regime and start doing some Nordic ski training by taking out the rollerskis, but ironically the snow hit after just a day or two back and the trail was impassable by rollerski: I'd need real skis, but real crappy skis, and I have a few pairs at the cabin but not here so I would have to save my first day on "skates" for the real thing. The next Saturday we went up to Stevens Pass Nordic Center (forever referred to as SPNC from here on out) with J&L and I got in about 1-1/2 on skis.

No comments: